From:
Joel Klose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:30:10 -0400
Hi all,

First off thanks to everyone for a great deal of useful information daily.
I do review information and find it useful in the management of our
operation!

I read this article with a great deal of intrest.  At first glance I
thought it was great to see a beekeeper moving ahead full steam.  Makes me
think I'm not completely nuts for choosing this profession. As I reread it
though I see that if I'm interpreting the information correctly Round Rock
is producing 1.5 million of income from 1300 hives of non-chemically
treated hives.  This means that in a time when many beekeepers are having
difficulties keeping hives alive Round Rocks owner is doing the impossible
twice.
1) Keeping commercial #'s of hives alive without ANY chemical treatments
2) Producing around $1154 of income from each hive (1.5 mill/ 1300)

These numbers don't add up for me, perhaps someone else can show me the
math?  Are other commercial Beeks out there seeing this type of income per
hive and if so from what sources.  We are not doing any pollination which
may be our shortfall. I just don't enjoy moving bees any more than I
absolutey have to.  We do produce nucs, honey, pollen and propolis, make
hand cream, soap, tincture, lip balm etc., basically using everything but
the buzz.  (and I'm working on that) If we can gross $500/ hive a year (in
good years) we think that's pretty good.  With 200 hives if we could
produce 230K, the equal to Round Rocks avg a year, I'd be a pretty happy
beekeeper.

Best Regards,
Joel