From:
Yoon Sik Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:04:23 -0400
Interesting Exchange on Swarm-Capture here.

Many on this list already know my beekeeping modus operandi:  that I have
been keeping bees on large cells without treatment by singularly exploring
feral survivor stocks locally available, that I never buy queens from
elsewhere even though, at times, I do entertain the thought of infusing
different genes into my current stock, and finally, that I have quit
purchasing packages even from within the United States about fifteen years
ago, realizing I was on yo-yo beekeeping.

This practice of using feral stocks only, for me, has been possible for
two reasons.  One, I have been a sideliner, not relying my livelihood
entirely on my operation although I am now building up gradually.  Had I
been a commercial beekeeper, I probably have starved yellow by now.  Two,
for better or worse, I live in an area that has been affected by AHB
invasion although the AHB’s in our area have not yet caused any massive
stinging incident, another topic for another time.  Possibly Three, just
as the recent South African paper has suggested, I could not care less if
my bees die due to mites or nosema or other pathogens.  Let them bee or
let then DEAL with it, for I know I will be busy collecting swarms again
come next year; in fact, like many on the list, I much prefer fall loss.

My overwintering success rate this year has been around 80%, possibly one
of the worst in recent years, the key being heavy fall-feeding; I have
already preached elsewhere that starvation kills more bees than anything
else.  When the bees come out strong in spring, I split to prevent
swarming and to increase their numbers or make up winter loss; in fact, I
have already done it for this year during the first week of March, a
crucial window of opportunity in my area; the bees had already started
making drone cells in mid-February so that by the time new queens come
out, the drones are available.  It took years of careful observation to
figure this date out and luckily the availability pollen coincides with my
split, and I would like stay a hair ahead of the first pollen.

Now how do I go about capturing swarms?  I have never been successful in
capturing swarms using traps, either, and wasted quite a lot of money and
time and dreams; the only time I got one was a swarm that simply moved
into stacks of boxes I have stored in the open.  I find the following
methods more reliable, which I do about this time of the year.  That means
right now.

1.	I contact all the local fire/police departments and give them my
number.  Typically it has been 911 dispatchers who would contact me if
someone calls.
2.	Contact and leave your number to the County Extension Office (all
the land-grant institutions should have one nearby); many people will
contact this Ag-office.
3.	I advertise in all possible venues, especially the free ones, such
as in the local electric Coop flyer.  In fact, for the first time this
year, I will pay to advertise my service in the local paper, for the
number of swarms you will catch will pay in the long run for the rather
expensive advertisement.
4.	When removing bees, I contact the local press so that the
sensationalism-starved media will be more than happy to indulge me and
advertise my service in the process, free, typically a front-page stunt
for this run-of-the-mill town out of nowhere.  Currently I am thinking
about contacting one of the local TV Channels that featured me about five
years ago to come and tape me while I remove one walled-colony in the city.
5.	I give bee-talks to any civic and other organizations, such as
garden clubs, schools, and even retirement homes, to expose my business, a
PowerPoint presentation that includes many pictures of jaw-dropping walled-
colonies I have removed.  Now, regarding the retirement home visit, no one
appreciates cut-comb honey more than these folks: they remember how to
enjoy comb honey better than today’s kids because they had actually tasted
it when growing up, something kids nowadays do not know.  Convert them
into your cut-comb honey clients.
6.	Even when I teach, I talk about my bees and swarm removal, and
sometimes show my students my PowerPoint so that their word of mouth will
help my feral bee rescue operation.

Others have already mentioned about contacting local exterminators, which
I have done to only a few and found not as successful.  (I suspect they’d
rather make money by spraying than letting me remove swarms and walled
bees) All these activities will expose how passionate you are about saving
honey bees now that everybody knows about a thing or two regarding CCD, a
DDT in bee industry; eventually, people will know you are the bee-man who
would rather sleep with your bees than with your wife.  How about an ad
like this in personal column? :  “Woman Beekeeper Wanted for a Serious
Companionship:  The broken teeth of the hive-tool doesn’t matter.  The
shape and age of the frame doesn’t matter.  The wear and tear of the
extractor doesn’t matter.  Just send me the picture of your bees!”

Yoon