From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:01:12 -0600
Hello All,
On C-span this morning an attorney named Sarah Klein from the Center for
Science in the Public interest said a change was coming in country of origin
labeling but the change would be only to include a higher number of
products.

Klein said they lost the battle to make packers list the percent of the
product which was from each country. Which is what beekeepers want. An
example would be 80% China honey first and 20% U.S.A. second.

Klein also spoke on the Hallmark meat *voluntary* meat recall (the largest
in history) and what a farce it is in reality.
The reason is simple. You will not find a single package anyplace in the
U.S. with the name Hallmark on the label.
Every pound went to stores which add their own label.

Has anyone noticed the news media is not saying "if you have a package of
hallmark beef with these numbers return to the supermarket for an refund!"
What will the largest recall in history actually cost Hallmark?

I have made a few calls to friends in large cities and they report the same
thing I see. Not one store in the KC area has said they sold the hallmark
beef under their store label and bring in for a refund.

Klein said public outrage is the answer. Every person should grab the beef
package from our fridge and freezer and go to the store we purchased and
demand to know if the beef came from hallmark . of course we all know very
few people really care. After all we are all simply too busy!

The beef industry damage control says how safe the meat is *if* we heat to
160F. Klein pointed out that the issue is mad cow which totally has slipped
past our news media. Not to mention that mad cow takes 7 years and longer to
show up!

My 2 cents worth!

bob

--