From:
Ruth Rosin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:40:49 -0500
  Jim Fischer said:

>Funny you should mention - are you aware of how many NON-migratory
operations, well off the usual migratory routes have been hit by CCD?<
CCD is totally outside my field of expertyise, and I keep out of any
discussions about this issue. But, I am curious: about the answer to
Fischer's rethorical question? Have non-migrating operations, far off the
migration route been hit by CCD? Have non-migrating opersations, well on the
migratory operations been hit by CCD?

The reason I ask these questions is that I have become intrigued by a
suggestion recently brought up by one member of this forum who proposed one
possible effect of migrating with bee-hives, that has nothing to do with
"overworking" the bees, or spreading disease vectors. He proposed that
keeping the bees in closed hives for the many hours often required to
transport them, may have a detrimental effect by interfering with the bee's
ability to control the temperature inside the hive.

If such an effect exists at all, it certainly would not be "infective. Nor
do I know why it  would manifest itself in the way CCD is reported to show
up, with beekeepers reportedly finding hives with brood & food, but very few
adults. But, it is an interesting possibility to consider.

Sincerely,
Ruth Rosin ("Prickly pear")