From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 06:12:04 -0400
Eric Brown wrote:
> On the other hand, I know two beekeepers from these parts that went to
> almonds the last couple years, and both of them use "organic" (by OMRI-type
> standards) mite controls.  One uses an essential oil homebrew, the other
> used formic.  Neither of them adheres to rigid standards, because neither
> of them is a pharisee; they're commercial beekeepers, they're practically
> oriented.

No problem with that and we are in agreement. Commercial organic, except
in beekeeping, is "practically oriented". It has to be if the
practitioner is going to earn a living from it. Both would be condemned
by some in the organic movement.

The standard argument in these threads is always the issue between
practical and ideal. The idealist paints a picture of pure evil on the
part of the commercial beekeeper, almost a parody. There are good and
bad on both sides.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine