From:
George Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:16:01 -0500
>>> why bees drop on the snow on the ground on cool, sunny days.

I agree losses of this nature are likely not as significant as they seem
but with clusters the size of grapefruit, one doesn't like to lose
otherwise healthy bees if you don't have to. I also wonder how many of
them are essentially healthy bees out for a cleansing flight that just
succumb to the temperature as opposed to older worn-out bees that have
chosen to take one last flight and die outside, for the good of the
hive? I don't know the answer to this question. I've always assumed they
were old bees but I noticed a bee on it's back in the snow last weekend
when I was up checking stores, it's legs were moving ever so feebly. I
picked it up and held it in my cupped hand and after a few minutes it
revived, crawled out on my finger, and flew off. It looked like a young
bee. Having done my good deed for the day, I went home.

I have never seen undertaker bees at work in the middle of winter, even
on a nice day. When spring arrives they get busy cleaning out the hive.

Bill Truesdell has suggested that checking your hives in the middle of
winter is a waste of time since there's really nothing you can do for
them and if they're dead, well, they'll be just as dead come spring.
Nonetheless, it just lifts my spirits to see the bees taking advantage
of a mild winter day for a quick spin.

George-
George Fergusson
Whitefield Maine