Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 07:54:50 +0300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I don't see HMF as solely protective scam by EU. If it is such it sure is not a qood one. We have a lot of honey coming to Finland ( and other places in EU) from Argentina Brasil and China. 

Jim, did you know that there is higher limit for the countries that are in the tropics. 60 mg if I remenber right. No definition in the rule what is tropical so USA should fit as Florida is tropical. 

I and most beekeepers I know feel that honey sold should be quite near the way it is in the beehive. HMF gives a bitter taste to honey above 100 mg. Also honey is valuable food because it contains enzymes and antioxidants. These are destroyed by long storage and heat treatments. HMF level is a simple indication how much heat pressure ( combination of heat and time) honey has had. 

I would like to know how much Florida honey has HMF after extraction ? My guess less than 5 mg. After a year at the home table in Miami about 20 - 35 mg. 

HMF has lot to do with honey getting darker by time. Which beekeeper thinks that honey which  is darkened by heating is still first quality ? 

Jim, what method would you recommend to separate qood quality dark honeys fron honeys darkened by heating or long storage. 

Ari Seppälä
Finland

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2