From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:39:08 -0700
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:One year all the hives were inspected four times by various inspectors!

......but for now our area is SHB free.

I am actually suprised at us not getting SHB before now since the first SHB finds were over five years ago!

Bob,
    We have small hive beetles in my location.  I have had SHB in hives in my yard in the past year or so.  When the state bee inspector inspected my hives early this summer he could find no evidence of SHB.  Why?  I had gotten in contact with a company in Georgia who was selling nematodes that supposedly attacked the SHB in its larval/pupation stage in the ground.  I bought their product but was unable to innoculate the ground with the nematodes until sometime in May when we finally got enough rain to get the ground pretty wet.  Annacdotal evidence only - I believe that this innoculation very effectively attacked my infestation of SHB in that particular yard.  If the company remains viable I plan on buying more innoculation packets and reinfesting my yard and any other yards that I open up.

Mike in LA