From:
Chuck Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:34:49 -0400
Hello to All,

Medhat has said: "Once again, we have another effective tool to manage
mites in honey bee colonies."

Unfortunately, "we" just means Canada and the other countries that have
given approval. There is a whole lot of "us" down here in the lower 48
(plus) that have been left without this valuable tool as an approved
pesticide.

In my opinion, approval in Canada will bring about an increase of
unauthorized use of this pesticide here in the States. Approval in Canada
will likely give rise to increased use and availability of oxalic
applicators here in the USA.  Unauthorized use of oxalic acid will likely
lead to instances of injuries resulting from misuse and mishandling of
oxalic acid formulations. To have a miticide that is relatively safe for
all beekeepers to apply with labeled instructions and FDA approval is
imperative to the success and the industry acceptability of oxalic acid as
a miticide. Oxalic acid can be used in a safe and sane manner. Oxalic acid
in my opinion is another valuable bullet in a growing toolbox of
miticides, provided a safe method of application gains FDA approval, else
it will remain in a category quite like TacTic, Maverick, and Coral as
another pesticide that is misused per labeled instructions and is a danger
to all.

It is important that pressure be put on Washington for oxalic acid
approval here in the USA and acceptable standards and methods of
application are well defined and established with labeled instructions.
Oxalic acid is not something that should be concocted and administered as
a witches brew. Current methods of application do not require a chemist or
rocket scientist for safe administration; methods are quite simple and
well defined. Because it is unlikely that any one company or person will
undergo the gauntlet and expense for FDA approval of oxalic acid
applications that have gained approval in Europe and Canada are either
delayed gaining FDA acceptance or are never filed with the FDA because of
the lengthy and costly process. The FDA trusts no one except itself, not
even its Canadian or European counterparts, and the beekeepers in this
country unfortunately carry on their shoulders, their hives and in their
pocket books this same burden of trust.

Sincerely,

Chuck Norton
Norton’s Honey Farm