From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:31:40 -0800
Mark's reply:
  Perhaps checking nucs should be an area of our main focus in the spring. I'm sure that most people who sell nucs would object, not because of the possible presence of AFB, but because of the extra handling of an already fragile colony. Nucs, IMX(in my experience) are usually quite tight. The danger of rolling bees is greater in a nuc than it is in a full sized colony. I would think that we aught to be able to certify the health of the parent colonies and the other colonies of the seller of nucs. This isn't up to me, for sure. You could have influence over the policies of the Inspection Program by letting your feeling known to NYS Dept. of Ag&Mkts in Albany. There is an Apiary Industry Advisory Committee that advises the Commissioner of Agriculture on matters concerning the Beekeeping Industry of New York State. You might make your feelings known to them too. The AIAC is made up of a fruit grower from NY, a commercial beekeeper, a sideline beekeeper, a hobby beekeeper, Dr. !
 Nick
 Calderone
from Cornell and some others.

"[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    - can check nucs/hives of local beekeepers before one buys them and have the inspection history of fellow beekeeper

. When I was getting started in beekeeping, I once bought a nice, strong nuc from a local, very reputeable beekeeper. I did not know any better but the nuc had clinical foulbrood when I pick it up...

  Mark's reply:
  Unfortunately this happens more often than it should. If you are putting your newly purchased nuc into new equipment then in all likelyhood you did buy your first case of AFB. In the future try to get an agreement with your supplier to the effect that if your colony comes down with AFB in the first season there should be some refund coming your way. You can know your supplier very well and things happen when least expected.

It's good to know if other beekeepers in the surrounding areas are repeat offenders for foulbrood. In fact, I think bee inspector should be obligated to publish lists of beekeepers who fail to eradicate their fouldbrood for 3 years running!

  Mark's reply:
  The work that we do and the data we collect is supposed to be confidential. Therefore we can't publish such a list. Your best source of info like that is your local bee club, the Long Island Beekeepers Association. And still, the buyer be ware.
  Mark
  p.s. I hope that I deleted enough of the original post, but left enough so one could see what was being responded to.  mwb at sqkcrk

Yahoo! Shopping