From:
josh jaros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:26:33 -0700
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
"BUT, seeing as the flows are ongoing, supers in place, when does it
become necessary to say STOP - remove the honey and start feeding for
winter. Plus if V.d. treatment is required, again when does one halt
honey production in favour of preparing for winter."

Hi Peter,
     I'm just south of you a little ways in Warroad, MN.  I've been experiencing the same type of weather although our canola has already bloomed.  I haven't seen any sunflower bloom although I know they were planted in the area.  Perhaps they got plowed down.  It's been a very depressing year with this being one of the two coldest summers in over a century.  My average crop this year is 50lbs when I usually do 100-120 average.  I was hoping that the weather would hold out and make up in August but nothing ever came of it.  I decided two weeks ago to count my losses and prepare for wintering.  I've noticed that the mites have done really well in my hives this year so I'm glad to get an early start on wintering preparations.  I think that the weather has really drained the hives.  Like you said, it's better to have hives next spring than to have another few pounds of honey.  In the month of August my hives made absolutely no honey at all.  Do you think yours will bring in any!
  amount
 in the next few days to make it worthwhile?  Do the bees look healthy?  What is your forecast for the next week?  Just today the same warm spell that hit you has hit our area.  I'm hoping this will cheer up the girls a little.  I just don't know how longer this warm spell will last.  Maybe you have great looking hives, then maybe you could go a couple weeks and catch that canola.  Bees can sure bring in large amounts of canola honey if the weather is right.  Hope this helps.  Let me know how you fare.  One last thought-soon the bees you'll have in your boxes all winter will be hatching.  Will they be ready?

Josh Jaros