From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:35:12 -0500
The recent discussion about Metarhizium anisopliae should be read keeping in
mind that, "if it sounds too good to be true, ..."  I am not doubting what
Mike heard at the Alabama Beekeepers' Association meeting, but I wonder who
was presenting.

I have not heard of the "drop a pill" treatment.  So far I have only read
about strip applications.  And admittedly I have not heard or read it all.
However, my understanding is that Metarhizium anisopliae hasn't been shown
to be a consistent product.  Some data shows great promise, but others have
had problems verifying/reproducing the results.  I would not advise
beekeepers to expect a product on the market as soon as this summer.  In the
US we're still waiting for the approved formic acid product promised for
release by 1989!

As far as Peter's question if Metarhizium anisopliae will relegate OA to
"good one, but not now needed", my response is hopefully some day, but until
such time keep the other tools handy.  If one is trying to budget, weighing
the expense of the monster evaporator pictured on Allen's page (what's the
cost of that contraption anyway?) vs. the forecast of a $2 pill to
innoculate a hive with Metarhizium anisopliae, I'd guess at this point in
time that the evaporator is a bird in the hand.  And even that is not true.
OA still falls into the category of "home remedy", not approved for use in
honey bee colonies.

So, beekeeper beware.  I hope Metarhizium anisopliae will prove to be
effective and available.  However, the best perspective I have seen was
posted on BEE-L by Mike Griggs last October (the last time the topic came
up).  Check out:
http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0410D&L=bee-l&P=R3867
Beware of word wrap on the url!

Will Metarhizium anisopliae supplant Oxalic Acid?  Doubtful.  In my country,
neither are options.  Hopefully they will become available, hopefully sooner
than later.  In the meantime, I'm assembling shallow frames to put in my
deep bodies with the intent of cutting the capped drone brood 3 or 4 times a
season.  It's sanctioned, it's effective, and test data is reproducable.

Stay tuned for further developments.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!