From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:52:30 -0800
 Bob wrote:

> Perhaps replace all your comb with small cell foundation and downsize your
> bees.

> Recommendation is going to be made to start rotating comb from the brood
> nest which has been exposed to chemical strips.

. Many beekeepers
> are cussing almond pollination as they got little if any honey crop this
> year and now half their hives are dead.
 Hello Bob and All,
 My phone has been ringing for weeks about the problem in California.
Some of the problem can be solverd by , just GOOD beekeeping practices.
Replace 30% of the brrod comb every year. Keeps a healthy hive for the long
run.
 We all knew that the chemicals would get into the wax.The molecular
structure of wax makes that happen.
 My opinion on pollenation with the almonds is simple. If you want a problem
, do it. You can't put that many hives in one area and not spread problems
like wildfire. Look at the bottom line in cost. I think some beekeepers are
getting the picture. Some are going out of business.I know the money looks
good up front. It will even look better because of the lack of bees for the
almonds.
This list has plenty of info about the problem. From day one , putting
chemicals in the hive was not going to be a good idea.
If it is not there already don't put it in.
The real good news about this situation , comes with a paradygm shift. I
think all beekeepers should see the writting on the wall, not just a few.
Lets use the tools we have, other than chemicals.
 It is easy to proove things after the fact.We spend a lot of money and time
to come up with the proof, that we should have seen in the first place. What
kind of thest you do and how you develop new tests is not the answer.
Looking with reason and the knowledge you have should lead you to the answer
, before you have a problem.
Beekeeping in the US is on one knee right now. This will be the worst winter
in history. Count on it. We will raise from the ashes and be a lot smarter
for it.
Think small cell and breeding. It will come out on top for the long run.
Best Regards
Roy Nettlebeck