From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:09:55 -0500
Larry  said:
One other question that some of you might be able to clear up.  There is a
precipitate that falls to the bottom when this sugar is made into syrup.I
assume this to be the starch which is insoluble.

I believe one of the commercial beekeepers I had talked to when we were
cosiderering feeding the "Domino brand frosting" said it might be able to
decant the starch out but I am sure he did not say he had tried and was
succesful at decanting the starch out.

If your group would decide not to try and feed the  sugar/starch product I
would guess you could most likely recover your investment  from a large
commercial beekeeper which would simply add enough fructose to cut the
starch level lower than the 3% original level or like the beekeeper I ran
across simply mix , feed and report no problems.

Two of the commercial beekeepers I talked to offered me about *half* what I
had bid on the domino  frosting I had so I declined and was looking for a
better way to get my money back   when a beekeeper came along and said there
was not enough starch to cause a problem with flying bees. I do not remember
the amount of starch in the domino brand but would guess in the 3 to 5%
range.

4000 pounds of your product will make over ten barrels of feed which is a
small amount of bee feed in the large operation. Many times the commercial
beekeeper is the only person bidding on freight damaged sugar.

It would be a shame to send 4000 pounds of even scrap sugar/starch to a land
fill when a method surely exists  for the product to be used as bee feed for
*poor starving bees*!

Bob