From:
Mark Spagnolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:48:23 EST
After several years of experimenting with different wintering methods, I
built a shed and am wintering 45 hives inside this year.

I am interested in the experiences of others who have tried this method.

I live in northern Minnesota.  Our winters are very similar to what you would
expect in Winnipeg, with snow from October through March and several months
of below freezing temperatures.  Pollen usually becomes available in mid-April.

The past few winters have been moderate, with little snow.  I have tried
wrapping, not wrapping, feeding and several other combations.  My success has been
limited and not dependable.

My shed is 8 x 8, insulated, ventilated inside and out, and thermostatically
controlled to 36 degrees F.  I have 45 hives stacked inside.  The hives went
in last week.  I don't anticipate taking them out until mid March.  All hives
were in heavy singles, with 2003 carniolan queens from Kona Queen in Hawaii.
They all produced a good crop and were medicated for tracheal mites, foulbrood
and nosema.  Each hive has a screened bottom board and an inner cover with a
screened hole for ventilation.

I have been told that I will have to add some humidity into the shed in
February when the queens will begin to lay new brood.  Any thoughts on this?

Although they hives have only been inside for ten days, they are calm.  The
clusters are spread across the frames.  The heat source has not turned on as
the inside temperature has remained between 38 F and 48 F, from the heat of the
colonies themselves.  Earlier this week the outside temperature dropped to -12
F and the shed stayed at 38 F.!

I am interested in any thoughts or advice that anyone might have concerning
my "experiment".  I have been reading this list for many years, first when I
worked at Kona Queen and for the past five years when I have been keeping bees
in Minnesota.  I have learned a lot and hope that I will be able to learn more
now!

Mark in Keewatin, Minnesota