Condense Mail Headers

From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:48:14 -0600
James said in reference to use of formic and FGMO as *homeopathic*:

" I wonder if this is an incorrect use of the term to persuade us it is
valid."

The term was widely used at the ABF convention (2003 K.C., Missouri) by many
people (even members of the bee inspectors). I am lucky to be on a first
name basis with many of the bee inspectors. Many never saw a problem with
use of mineral oil in a bee hive. Many joked that the only problem with
mineral oil might be that too high a dose might have a laxative effect on
the bees. I personally see use of food grade mineral oil as a non issue but
I suppose there might be those which might raise eyebrows .

In my opinion I see formic use the same way. Risk is too the applicator. If
the beekeeper follows Medhat N. or mitegone methods and safety methods I see
only risk to the beekeeper if he or she does not use proper care. After all
tens of millions of batteries were sold through the years with  sulfuric
acid in a separate container and filled at home by the buyer. WalMart ( see
below) still  sells  motorcycle batteries this way to any person which has
money to buy including children filling batteries for their motor scooters
and mini bikes.

 As a small orchard owner I believe I would be in greater risk with many of
the chemicals I (and you)  can freely buy from my orchard chemical supply
house. Not person or animals are allowed to enter the field without a
respirator for 24 hours.

Last Saturday I invited a veteran EPA chemical police friend  (he now owns a
pest control business but enforced chemical label violations for around ten
years I believe) to the house for diner. After dinner we discussed formic
acid.
He said:
"Use of formic acid or FGMO when used as a pesticide becomes a pesticide in
the eyes of the EPA".
 However when there is no label then the homeowner can use as he/she sees
fit BUT NOT for others. You can not sell the product as a pesticide without
EPA label registration. Although I have listened to those on the list which
say "private use of formic acid or FGMO is illegal" I have yet to find those
in the EPA to back Peter and Jim up.

I have been told both the EPA & FDA monitor the BEE-L list. Would a rep from
one or both please say "yes" or "no" or "under these conditions" to the
private use U.S.A. legal issue?

Bob

A radio talk show last week reported ( K.C.X.L. 1140 A.M) that China had
said " business from WalMart had created 12 million jobs in China" and
thanked the largest importer of goods from China for its business at a
function.
I believe Mr Sam Walton (WalMart founder) would roll over in his grave if he
saw those figures. As Dan Rather would say "Part of our world today".