From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 02:23:15 EST
In a message dated 3/20/02 11:43:14 PM GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

>         BTW the thymol molecule has 14 not 140 hydrogen atoms.

??????

Not being a chemist at all I cannot dispute these formulae, however, I read
the disputed formula as having 14 hydrogen. Not 140. The last digit is
actually an O for Oxygen.

Now to anser James Kiltys point about this not being a forum for general
debate on organics, well to some extent I agree with him and in the past we
have done the thing to death anyway.

However, there are some glaring problems with organic and bees, and I feel
Robt. Mann, who has in the past called himself a 'neutral ecologist' has
firmly nailed his colours to the mast by declaring as he did in his last post.

Strictly in beekeeping terms relating to my own health I would be happier
with the use of flumethrin than with oxalic acid, which is truly nasty stuff.
Not oil miscible perhaps, thus not likely to be persistent in wax, but
intrinsically more dangerous to my health whilst in use.

One final thing about the organic farmer, and it is moderately relevant as I
keep many colonies on his 7500 acres of land (only about 10% is in organic).
This guy is a leading (graduate) farmer of enormous expertise. He is
influential and award winning and is in at cutting edge developments. He is
enlightened and modern, and no way would I dispute his credentials. He is
very scared of one or two of the organic treatments he is cornered into using
and has a special compartment in his locked chemical store where these things
are kept. A locked store within a locked store? To contain chemicals the
public believes to be safer?
A bit odd dont you think.

I will now bow out of this thread, as I did not intend it to expand as it has
beyond being about Thymol and must take my full share of blame for that
happening.