From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:43:24 -0500
Robt Mann wrote:

> Bill Truesdell's ensuing comments on organics were generally realistic but
> included:
> >"Natural" pesticides that are much more destructive to the environment
> >than many "manufactured" pesticides are approved.

Rotenone is one. Exposure to it has been implicated in the onset of
Parkinson's Disease. Yet it was, and still may be an approved organic
pesticide because it was "natural".  Here is a quote on how to use it.

>Exposure to applicators applying rotenone is further minimized through the use of >protective equipment such as air-purifying respirators, protective clothing (coveralls, >gloves), and eye protection (splash goggles or face shields) that are required on the >product labels (Finlayson et al. 2000).

It cannot be used near waterways because it kills fish. It is much more
toxic than, for example, Malathion, a manufactured pesticide.

For bees- Formic Acid is dangerous to humans. Note the precautions
needed in its use. Yet it is organic because it shows up in nature.
However, in my travels, I have never encountered a lake of 95% formic
acid or even 65%. Which is the point. Just because it is in nature, does
not make it natural when used in concentrations never found in nature.
Add essential oils to that list.

And I agree with Murray. This is one of those topics that go nowhere and
do not convince the  believers on either side.

BTW. I do practice organic methods in my garden and fruit trees. Just I
am not a true believer and recognize that sometimes you need to treat.
Like some of my friends who shudder at the use of antibiotics for
animals but ask for a shot to cure their cold.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me