From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:16:41 -0500
Hello All,
> > Just because some think the whole 4.9 idea is snake oil does not
> > mean that it is snake oil.  The proof is still not in.
>
> Take a look at:
>
> http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/
>
> (>Research>Varroa>Cellsize)

This outdated report actually proves little in view of what we know NOW
about SMR.  The study only included three hives.  I do find it MOST
interesting that the hive with the 900 foundation had the best SMR (blue
color on graph).  The 900 foundation is as close as we can tell about 5.0mm
to 5.1mm.. Those sizes according to Dee Lusby are to large for varroa
control. When she dropped to the 4.9mm size she then  saw varroa not being
able to reproduce in worker cells like they do on larger cell foundation.
Drone cells are ALWAYS at risk even with small cell. Dee never allows over
10% drone comb.  Dadant when they first produced the small cell last year I
believe they used the old 900  molds (could be wrong).  My original idea
when I approached Dadant in 1985 was to use the old *900* molds. My idea was
later proved wrong. The size needed to be 1 -2 mm smaller to work. I am NOT
a bee expert or always right. My theory wouldn't have worked as intended.
Dee started in the same area but finally went smaller to find what she
considers the correct size for varroa control (along with breeding and her
strain of bees). Dee said the foundation was actually 5.0-5.1mm so Dadant
retooled and now the 4.9mm foundation from Dadant is correct. I am putting
the above down from memory and very fast. Barry correct me if I have left a
part out or have something incorrect.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri