From:
Michael Housel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 09:36:28 EDT
Clearing and removal of feral hives is and important part of the community
needs.  Police, fire departments, bug spray companies (they won't kill honey
bees for a little honey once a year and call them for yellow jacket removal),
Schools for any programs that will need a display (Best use for some of the
drones, teachers love the help, and student projects, Arbor day and city
plantings, Master gardener educational programs) Science Centers, county
fairs.  One town that is very important for the pollination honey bees
thorough the winter increases had a bill come up at city hall to get rid of
the honey bees in the town.  The city, which is beautiful with the flowers
and trees bloom, told the folks that put the bill to the city hall to move
somewhere else. The bees where there for years before and they were part of
the beauty of the city. I also help in any community food programs, I never
give a lot of honey but yard rent is important to me for the yard owner
protection of my bees.  You will find that a simple washing of the hands and
face in honey to get rid of excessive oil as a demonstration can change a
group to your best friend.  This will make the glass rim sing(hoefully to
save your bees).  Your community leaders, ministers, school administrative
people, are a once 8 oz bear of honey?  They will remember your bees forever.
 Keeping bees in the city is hard for people spray to kill everything.
Yellow lead paint will show up in wax or green wax from stuff left open in
the city.  This is what you can see and I am sure the honey will have
confederate jasmine and other poisons.  I keep my queen hive that I graft
from at the house and any of the wild hives that I have to treat before
putting them into the apiary.  I have 1 hive that is at a small garden still
zoned agriculture but in the city limits that produces some of the best
blueberries, banana, blackberries, that are given to me by the farmer.  I
even get eggs.  I almost forgot the Yellow and White corn. Good luck. Michael
Housel