From:
Jim Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:48:05 -0500
For beekeepers that do not sell a lot of honey, they might want to
consider making their own labels. I learned how to do this years ago based
on a letter to the editor in the ABJ. I print out labels on 8 1/2  x 11
letter paper. I get 9 front labels/sheet and 15 back labels/sheet.

I use a paper cutter to cut the labels out.

Regular water soluble white school glue can be used to attach the label to
a glass jar.  This is nice because you can easily remove the labels if the
jar is returned. To attach the label, place some glue on a smooth dark
surface ( I use a piece of plexiglass, the dark surface enables you to see
the glue better). Add a little water as needed to get a workable
consistency. Spread the glue out with your finger , place the label over
the spread out glue and use a pin to help release the label.

You can be as creative as you want in designing the label. Use a standard
word processor and set the page up in columns ( I use 3 columns, 0.417"
side margins and 0.5 inch top and btm margins). You can use colored paper
if you want. So far I've been using white.  I've been playing around with
adding a color picture in the background. So far I've had to print the
pictures first (I "washed out the  color" so that the printing could be
read) and then print the text.

School glue will not stick to the plastic jars but I just discovered that
the Walter T . Kelly Co. sells a water soluble paste that works on plastic
or glass.

I make my own wine and this method adds a nice touch to the wine bottle.

Jim