From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:47:13 -0400
Will Lewis said "However; This product is 1% coumaphos whereas the
Bayer Bee Strips are 10% coumaphos.  Both products are manufactured by
Bayer.  Common sense would dictate that if the 1% product will do the job,
why use something stronger and less safe to handle ?  Of course the strips
are way more expensive that the powdered product."

Well...I can think of a few reasons (other than the legal considerations)
not to use the spray:
1. As far as varroa is concerned...at this time of year some 60%-70% of all
varroa in the hive is in sealed brood cells, where the spray will not reach
them.  Therefore, the spray would be largely ineffective unless it were
repeated every 2-3 days for 40 days (two brood cycles)!
2. While the formulation in the strips is made to be hydro-phobic (not
readily dissolved into a liquid such as honey), it seems that the spray
material is not.  Otherwise, how could it be dissolved into a liquid for
spraying?  Do you really want even a 1% solution in honey were it could
someday be moved up into a super?
3. As far as small hive beetle is concerned, will 1% do the job?  My limited
information is that the adult is very difficult to kill (without also
killing bees or larvae).
4. A 1% treatment will surely kill less than 99% of varroa (rate killed with
the 10% strips) and fewer small hive beetles.  This will lead to selection
for resistance at a faster rate than otherwise.

While I hate to be preachy, my understanding is that thinking similar to
that being considered by Mr. Lewis is what has led to the rapid coumaphos
resistance being reported in Europe.  However, I do recognize that Mr. Lewis
is only considering using the spray and I am certain that his better
judgement will prevail and he will not actually do so.

Lloyd
Mailto: [log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.