From:
Jorn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:13:04 +0100
> But I think the issue was using a specific UPC bar-code for honey.  Must
> one purchase their own registered bar code, or are there generic bar codes
> for honey, 12 oz; honey, 16 oz; honey, 32 oz.

There are not! Barcode for store sale are company specific, and you must
sign up on the country specific barcode administration to obtain this
specific number. And this is not cheap.
The money you have to pay is for administration and maybe membership. The
country specific administrations are working together to assure the
individuality of the assigned company number.

this means that if I buy a jar of honey in USA with an barcode number
printed at the label I can scan it and contact the barcode administration in
my country and they can tel me the product company name and address.

a barcode number consists of a country number and company number followed
with an item detail number and then a calculated check digit to assure the
number is correct read by the barcode scanner.

Best regards
Jorn Johanesson

Multilingual software for beekeeping since 1997

hive note- queen breeding and handheld computer beekeeping software
18-01-2001 added grouping  and coloring of hives.

home page = HTTP://apimo.dk
e-mail [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>