From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:43:13 -0600
Hi Tim and Everyone,

Tim wrote in part :

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/19/00 07:27PM >>>

"Question 1:  Since AFB does a number so to speak on equipment, and the
approved methods of cleaning up wooden ware is drastic, and or costly; I was
wondering if anyone has seen any research in the area of sealing the spores
in using some of the newer space age acrylics, or other sealants. Brushing
them on is out, but a spray??  I received the post concerning bleach, and
suspect it works fine, buts its really not approved here in the US."

What do you mean "approved"?  You can legally use a bleach solution to disinfect things in the USA including hive boxes.  It may damage the wood but not sure if it would and how badly.  As far as sealing the spores in - that should work in practice - anything that keeps the bees from contact with the spores should work it does not need to actually kill the spores just isolate them from the bees.  Now in countries where drug treatment of AFB is not legal there could be regulations regarding decontaminating woodenware but here in the USA there should not be a problem unless the inspection service in your state has ordered the items destroyed.  Here in MN I would not have any problem with a beekeeper scraping and painting the insides of the hive bodies that were exposed to AFB.  Don't even have a problem with using a paint brush.

"Question 2: While a "normal" hive-I am assuming healthy with decent winter
stores , can stand the winters of most of the US--Alaska may be a different
matter, I was wondering if anyone has tried/read about etc. the possibility
of providing some sort of 'heating system" for the hive. This may cause other
problems for the bees including intruders, but I was curious."

Some beekeepers winter colonies in buildings which allow some heating of the building or cooling if needed as well as controling humidity and even feeding in the winter if needed.  These buildings need not be fancy.  I know of beekeepers here in MN who winter colonies in a small shed as single brood chambers.  They sometimes provide some heating but not usually much and some feed during late winter but others don't depending on colony needs and experience.  Sometimes the colonies seem to need water more than actual feed so giving them light ( 50:50 ) sugar water works well.

FWIW

blane