From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:52:28 EST

<< Usually the nuc will readily accept the queen cell, and by using one you
get
 a laying queen 10 days sooner than otherwise.  No less than 14 days after
 you insert the queen cell, check for eggs.  If no eggs appear by day 20, the
 bees did not accept the queen cell or the queen did not return from mating.
 Expect about 15% of your nucs to not have a laying queen, and plan the
 number of nucs accordingly. >>

    I've made thousands of nucs, pretty much by Lloyd's technique, and it's a
good one.  I don't fuss quite as much as Lloyd, because I don't cut off
cells, unless there are three or more on a frame. I just use the frames with
cells, being careful not to handle them rough, or tip them over.  I also do
not close entrances.

   I use 5 frame boxes mostly, so this gives a little more space. But I still
would generally give a frame of brood with eggs about the 20th day. If there
is no evidence of a queen, I'll give them another cell.  But the eggs give
them a chance, if the queen is a dingaling, and the extra brood also jump
starts the nuc.

Dave Green
http://pollinator.com