I have been disappointed by the record stores, such as Borders, which have
replaced, or more likely driven out the independents which were around for
decades.  As a result I generally buy CDs online because they are
unavailable locally.

The Baltimore ares has an independent store called Bibelot which is
in 3 different location in the city and tailors their selections to
the population they serve.  As a result they are doing very well.  Next
year they will open their 4th store in Columbia, MD and it should be as
successful as the other 3.  I will then most likely purchase most of my
CDs in the store.

Sami