[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Perhaps I missed out a few of the messages but I do not recall anyone
>suggesting the Missa Solemnis by Toscanini on BMG.  The EMI one with
>Klemperer is also great.

I was waiting for someone to mention the Toscanini.  For me, it's his
greatest Beethoven recording, and absolutely staggering, especially in the
new BMG remastering, in which it's coupled in a 2-disk set with the 9th
symphony, also sounding very fresh, also remastered.

The Klemperer is also very fine, but it lacks the wonderful underpinning
in the Benedictus of the Carnegie Hall organ.

Bill S