Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 20:03:35 -0400
From: Better Bee <[log in to unmask]>
To: "L-Soft list server at University at Albany (1.8c)"
Subject: UpS Shipment of Package Bees.

We just received what may be the first ever shipment of packaged bees by
United Parcel Service.  An experimental package with double screening
was shipped next day air from Georgia at 5 P.M.  Arrived at 11A.M. at
Betterbee in New York in excellent condition - no dead bees and little
evidence of heat stress although the morning here was on the  cool
side.  How they would fare is they were in a U.P. S truck all day on a
really hot day is another question.  At least UPS is willing to ship
them for the first time, and given the postal service's record of
package destruction, it is good to  finally have an alternative.
Incidentally, the UPS driver seemed very nonchalant about it ( the
screening hides the bees) until we told him he had been riding around
with 12,000 bees.