>   ...The EPA has asked ETO suppliers, who have already complied, to
>   change the label and specifically prohibit the use of ETO as a fumigant for
>   bee equipment.
<snip>
>   ...In the opinion of the EPA, the  value of the fumigation of bee equipment is
>   outweighed by the health risks to the bee inspector...

There are other factors involved here, from the question of reaction products left in the beehive after exposing wax, wood, metal, honey, pollen, and any remaining brood and scale to ETO.  There is also the question of the transport and handling of the product, and the byproducts of manufacture.

It is not a simple question.  We considered it here in Alberta back in the seventies and built a $250,000 chamber which was used for a year or two and put into 'mothballs' (pun intended -- hehehe).  It was brought out for one last hurrah when a large provincial museum had an outbreak of moths in some priceless exhibits, and the chamber saved the day, since the outbreak threatened the whole building.

Anyhow, no one knows where it is now, although at the time it was built, there was acrimonious debate, and a provincial  apiarist lost his position for opposing construction (for the reasons cited above) in the face of several politically powerful beekeepers.

As one who has had a truckload equipment fumigated many years ago, I can testify to the limited usefulness of the procedure;  only dry comb can be processed sucessfully, since the gas does not penetrate very well.  In our case, the equipment still required tetracycline treatment to clear it up, and in IMHO, we would have been *just as successful* to have just used TM properly in the first place and stayed away from the fumigatation (We did the fumigation before the Alberta chamber was built, and had driven 900 miles to Manitoba to have the job done).

The practice of fumigation has fallen from favour here in Canada for the most part.  I do not know of any chambers still functioning.

I guess I have to say -- for one more time -- that the drugs we have available (tetracycline) can clear up any AFB we currently experience quickly and efficiently -- when used correctly.  I have seen horribly infected equipment cleaned up.  And it stayed cleaned up afterwards.

Together with bees that are not highly susceptible to AFB, TM works fine, and will likely continue to do so for some long time.  When/if it fails due to resistance, we have other drugs waiting that are even more effective.

IMO, ETO use is not justified due to the risks, the toxicity, the extra handling, and ineffectiveness.

FWIW