De: Toby Mendel <[log in to unmask]>
Objet: Re: Comments on process RE: Joint Press Release
À: [log in to unmask]
Date: Jeudi 16 septembre 2010, 14h19

Just a quick reaction. Our documents talk about the creation of a coordination committee of 12 members. This group will have to be responsible for statements. Where they are urgent (as I suppose will often be the case, as here), they need a rapid response system. Where they are not, there needs to be more agreement. A difficult issue is what is required to kill off a proposed statement (just because someone initiates a statement does not mean one must be made). This is important because there is a natural tendency for groups to prioritise what they are working on, but this should not necessarily determine the direction of a network.
But for policy, I think we need to try to get strong agreement. Important policy needs to be approved by the membership (like the constitution). Other policy by the coordination committee. And in a manner that allows for full discussion of controversial issues (which in my view means much longer than 24 hours: probably circulation to the group and then a discussion by telcon, or sometimes email approval if everyone is on board).
Toby