Babies and Conferences

Hi,

At Australian Breastfeeding Conferences children will always be welcome.  We
run conferences for our volunteers and conferences for health professionals.
For the past 10 years I have organised our health professionals conferences
and have always attended with my own children - often a baby in a sling and
an older sibling to help care for mum and baby.  They love a bit of special
time away with mum (even if she is a little demented with organising the
thing)  I always find, too, the supportive and welcoming arms of other
breastfeeding counsellors who will doula me and my child for a while.
It saddens me though, that at every conference I recieve complaints from
people about the noise of babies (and it usually is just the quite noise of
young babies - we usually have a place where mothers and noisier babies and
toddlers to watch the proceedings from outside the room)
One reason I love taking my children to conferences is that I love them
being around the sort of people breastfeeding counsellors are - wise,
knowledgeable and giving.  You don't see enough of that these days.  Most of
the time I have been breastfeeding, and needed to take the baby.  Also, just
needed to "share out the child minding duties"- 4 children is a lot to
organise sleepovers for.
Funny/embarrassing story, though.....Once I took my 3rd baby, Cassie, to a
conference when she was about 6 weeks old.  She was what is known as a
"happy spewer".  To keep her quiet I fed her and fed her and fed her and fed
her.  And when she could feed no more I put her up over my shoulder.  There
was one man in the auditorium, and he was wearing a dark suit and sitting
right behind me.  He was drenched in babyspew.  I remember he seemsed quite
nice about it as I offered nappies to mop himself up - but I was mortified
and had to leave.  I still haven't really got over that.
Barb Glare
Australia
Breastfeeding Support: Everyone Wins online
http://www.lrc.asn.au/2009seminars/index.php