Cordelia, my understanding is that many babies tend to cluster feed
(frequent feedings) in the evening - thus they are feeding from an "emptier"
breast.  The more "empty" the breast and the closer the feedings are, the
higher the fat content.  Leon Mitoulas and others have done a nice study of
this.  So I don't think it's a case of reduced milk supply at all - but
rather a perception of this based on the baby's unsettled behaviour.

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
South Africa   [log in to unmask]