Gerhard Griesel writes of Saint-Saens:

> His third symphony one can kick out behind every bush, but I have been
> unable to find symphonies 1 - 2.  Do they exist?

Not only do those two symphonies exist, but there are two others as well:
a Symphony in A major and one in F major referred to as "Urbs Roma".

All five can be found on a Brilliant Classics set conducted by Jean
Martinon.  This set also has the piano concertos and other pieces.
Six CDs for under $30 - not shabby at all.

Don Satz