I recall telecasts of Boston Pops concerts with Fiedler conducting that
work.  Two soloists would stand at the front of the stage.  I believe
one of the percussionists was at the 'keyboard' with a huge cigar in his
mouth.  Another stood by with a stick and what looked like sandpaper on
a box.  Striking the box with the stick made the carriage return sound.

It was usually a big hit.

Regards,

Tom