I need some insight into a problem with one of my moms; permission to post.
She had gastric bypass surgery in 1999. Her daughter is now 4 months old,
gaining beautifully, happy and content, but is plagued with green/mucous
stools.

There is no indication of OMER. She always nurses on one-side only and
still uses breast compressions, so foremilk/hindmilk imbalance is not the
problem. In the archives there is a reference to 'low-fat' human milk in
moms who have had this type of surgery. While this theory seems logical to
me, on a certain level, in diagnosing the cause of the green/mucous
stooling pattern, it doesn’t fit with the overall picture of an otherwise
healthy, happy and thriving baby.

Mom has eliminated ALL sources of dairy for the last week and has seen no
signs of improvement. Yes, I know that the elimination diet is still in
the early stages but I usually note at least a subtle difference within
the first week.

Of course the pediatrician’s recommendation is to wean and feed the baby
Alimentum. Mom was very surprised to see that the main ingredient is
casein (no flies on this mom) and refuses to do so. Makes no sense to her.

I will suggest a RD to help maximize her protein/fat intake and suggest
B12 and calcium/magnesium supplements. I will also suggest the 'kiss the
baby' test to rule out CF. What am I missing here?

I tend to think that since the baby's weight gain is great and she is
contented and happy most of the time, mom should just continue with
breastfeeding and look past the green/mucous stools.

Thoughts?

Ellen Penchuk, IBCLC, RLC