Mike,
Thanks much for posting these great tidbits!  Also, thanks a ga-ZILLION for sending me all the references and articles I asked for.  I have already ordered books, and looked up lots of stuff.  I have another (yes another) small request.  Can you suggest a good book (or two or three) for nineteenth century transfer printed ceramics?   How about anything on decalcomania stuff (ickky)?  I'm staring at a huge pile of transferware with no books to refer to.  Help me oh God of the greatest private library known to man in the CRM world!  Actually, any suggestions would be great!

Take care,
Love,
Lynita
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2002 1:24 PM
Subject: Road Map Information

Dave Phillips of SWCA in Albuquerque recently wrote a newsletter article in the NewsMAC 2002 (1).  He describes the search for historic road maps and their value in history and archaeology.  He identifies a website which is an incredible source of information for those needing information on early road development across the US and Canada (and internationally) and discerning some of the mysteries of road maps, including finding dates from codes on the maps.  The site also has a link to a recent exhibition about road maps at the University of Southern Maine which provides great background information on the subject.  

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
Ogden, Utah