This thread of thought is interesting to me also. I have goats, horses,
cats, and dogs. They nurse longer if allowed to do so but again our
culture is not understanding of this. I think veterinarians that I speak
to are taught in school  that early weaning is ok. My miniature horse
nursed her first baby  a year as Kathryn D. posted . I hope to find out
next year about goats.  Thanks. Helen Curless, enjoying the fall color
changes in Kentucky.