From: [log in to unmask]
Full-name: Imibclc
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 07:26:37 EDT
Subject: Extended use of Nipple Shield
To: [log in to unmask]

--part2_18.b90331e.281176ed_boundary

Reading the post about the 10 month old still nursing with a nipple shield
made me remember an odd situation-
       After trying all sorts of other techniques, Mom tried nursing with a
nipple shield with good results.  In the course of my follow-up, I kept
encouraging weaning from the shield.  She finally told me in no uncertain
terms that she and Baby were very happy with the nipple shield and please
stop talking about getting rid of it.
       That "baby" is now over four years old.  Mom calls me every few months
to purchase more nipple shields, size newborn small.  He has long since
weaned from the breast, but walks all over town with a nipple shield in his
mouth! Mom says the dentist thinks they're great because they're soft enough
not to change the bite and wants to market them as an alternative to
pacifiers.
       I hope mom doesn't give out my card! ;-)

-Debi Page Ferrarello, RN, IBCLC
Abington, PA
where, if you encounter a preschooler at the park sucking on a nipple shield,
you'll know where it came from!

--part2_18.b90331e.281176ed_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Reading the post about the 10 month old still nursing with a nipple shield
<BR>made me remember an odd situation-
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;After trying all sorts of other techniques, Mom tried nursing with a
<BR>nipple shield with good results. &nbsp;In the course of my follow-up, I kept
<BR>encouraging weaning from the shield. &nbsp;She finally told me in no uncertain
<BR>terms that she and Baby were very happy with the nipple shield and please
<BR>stop talking about getting rid of it.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;That "baby" is now over four years old. &nbsp;Mom calls me every few months
<BR>to purchase more nipple shields, size newborn small. &nbsp;He has long since
<BR>weaned from the breast, but walks all over town with a nipple shield in his
<BR>mouth! Mom says the dentist thinks they're great because they're soft enough
<BR>not to change the bite and wants to market them as an alternative to
<BR>pacifiers. &nbsp;
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I hope mom doesn't give out my card! ;-)
<BR>
<BR>-Debi Page Ferrarello, RN, IBCLC
<BR>Abington, PA
<BR>where, if you encounter a preschooler at the park sucking on a nipple shield,
<BR>you'll know where it came from!</FONT></HTML>

--part2_18.b90331e.281176ed_boundary--