Dave Lampson replied to me:

>>Most sources agree that a commission as impetus for this work is spurious.
>>Further, most agree that the copy of the manuscript was given to Goldberg
>>so that he could play them on nights when Count Keyserlingk could not get
>>to sleep.  In other words, they weren't meant to put him to sleep, but
>>rather to aid in passing the time while he was suffering from insomnia.
>>By all accounts, Keyserlingk was pleased with the gift.
>
>Reading this passage seems to reinforce the "sleep aid" label historically
>associated with the work. [Then, Wes, I suggest there might be a
>significant problem with reading comprehension at work here.  -Dave]
>I think that aiding in the passage of time while someone is suffering
>from insomnia is very close to the same as putting someone out.

I just wanted to clear something up here if I may.  It is not my belief
that chemical responses in the body actually put a person in an unconscious
state when listening to music.  So, Dave, I do not believe that the
Goldberg's were used in the same way a drug might physically knock someone
out.  However, I do feel that music can create an atmosphere which more
quickly allows a person to relax.  In my other post I described how music
can focus our mind on the sweet sounds we enjoy and let those bothersome
noises and thoughts disappear.  When I think of a lullaby I don't picture
a person being knocked unconscious by the sounds they hear.  I think of a
person feeling more relaxed and calm until they slowly drift off.  If the
music stops playing they might not return to unrest.  Take a strong drug
and it doesn't really matter, you're gone.

I believe that music can act as a sleep aid by the way it makes us think
or feel and definitely can contribute to ease of rest and, ultimately,
sleep.  This is my opinion and I haven't conducted any extended experiments
or surveys to see if anyone else agrees.  I didn't have any trouble
understanding what you posted and I am not sure exactly why you suggested
so.  I made a statement and then tried to explain where I was coming from.
In my experience, listening to music to "pass the time" accomplishes more
than it suggests.  It also decreases the time in which I have to struggle
to fade out.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Count fell asleep much more
quickly while listening to music than he did without it.

Wes Crone (Forget Bach 2000...I'm now accepting donations for Hooked on
Phonics)