Dear Histarcs,

I am considering the organization of session on Public projects as examples of applied archaeology for SHA 2001.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Would anyone be interested in contributing a paper to this session?

Thanks,

M. Jay Stottman
Kentucky Archaeological Survey

Possible abstract:

 Connecting with The Public:  Working Toward an Applied Archaeology

With the increased popularity of public archaeology, researchers have seen many opportunities to connect with the public.  Public archaeology programs have grown from simple site tours and sand box digs to full participation education programs.  These programs have not only increased public awareness of archaeology, but provided a vehicle for the process of archaeology and archaeological research to actively influence public education.  Many archaeology projects are now specifically designed to educate and integrate the public into research.  The shift from public and education friendly archaeology projects to research projects designed to educate the public is the first step toward an Applied Archaeology.  We have heard of Applied Anthropology, where research projects are designed to help the cultures being studied.  We are now seeing archaeology projects that not only produce typical research products about past cultures, but also have profound positive effects on the lives of school children and the broader community.  This session will present examples of archaeological projects that have integrated with schools and communities and affected present culture.