From:
Harry Chaikin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 14:27:32 EDT
Dear friends,
   Well, I'm glad to see that my fellow NJ LLLI Medical Associate has
unpretentiously jumped into Lactnet and the discussion about educating docs
without even a formal introduction (smile).  I don't know if it's out of
modesty or lack of NETiquette (nah, nor that); nonetheless I'd be happy to
provide her credentials.  Alicia Dermer, MD is a family practitioner with
staff appointments at UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.  She is an
active member of the NJ Taskforce for the Promotion of Breastfeeding and as
mentioned earlier is a Medical Associate of LLLI.  Sarah tells me that she
is indeed one of those docs who is willing to stick her neck out for the
good of the Cause. Welcome Alicia!
   Regarding "dumb docs", I'm sure we all have our anecdotes that we could
relate perhaps from here to doomsday.  And as pointed out by Kathleen B,
this deficiency has been studied and published in JAMA.
   When it comes to educating docs about medications and breastfeeding, I
concur with Alicia that physicians often respond best to presentations of
respected medical publications.  I use the January '94 piece in Pediatrics
on "The Transfer of Drugs and Other Chemicals into Human Milk" (pp 137-50.)
Also Briggs and sometimes the USPDI are worthwhile sources.  Forget about
the so-called doctor's prescribing bible, the PDR.  It is written from a
defensive medical standpoint and usually worthless as a resource for
supporting the Bf'ing mom who requires medications.
   Sarah and I continue to look forward to the interesting input of all
Lactnet participants whether they be fp's, pediatricians, LC's, LLL leaders
or whoever has information to empower the group.
                      Harry Chaikin, MD