ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:11:30 -0400

For what it's worth, Liquid Nitrogen can actually be picked up, popped in
your mouth rolled around and spat back out.  It's something done by daring
physics and chem. students at some universities.  Now THAT truly is
dangerous - but not because the liquid nitrogen will harm you if done
correctly (it rides around on a layer of gas due to rapid evaporation).
 It's dangerous because if you accidentally swallow it, it will normally
kill you.  A student at one of my alma mater's did this, and is the first
known person to survive swallowing LN.  He was in the hospital for a few
months after.  Essentially the LN quickly evaporates acting like a
mini-explosion inside you and the temperature differential on the way down
your throat also causes scarred tissue and such.

William Katzman                    "The important thing is to never stop
questioning." -A. Einstein
Director of Exhibits               "Are you sure about that Al?" -His wife.
Catawba Science Center
ph: (828) 322-8169 x307
fax:(828) 322-1585