From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2010 12:21:31 -0600
Peter quoted CAPA's report:

> Instead, it is conceivable that Canadian producers may simply see these
effects as higher numbers of dead colonies following winter or those
described as dwindling during early spring.

> Most scientists in the U.S. and Canada would agree that what is being
described as CCD in the U.S. and the high winter losses seen in Canada are
likely being caused by several common interacting stress factors acting on
honey bee colonies.

A word of caution:

- Check the meaning of word conceivable.
- Check the statement : "Most scientists in the U.S. and Canada would
agree that what is being described as CCD in the U.S. and the high winter
losses seen in Canada are likely being caused by several common
interacting stress factors acting on honey bee colonies."

This statement has become a "common" statement included in most of
recently published research on honey bees mortality. So, Study bee stress.
We need a tool to measure bee stress or a bee Psychologist to evaluate
bees' stress.

I will say  when Canadian Apiculturists worked with the industry  on
controlling Varroa and Nosema, we are seeing positive results. The
following statement is in the report:

Compared with the previous three years, mortality across regions has been
less variable and generally lower. Extension professionals in Canada
attribute the improvement in colony losses, in part, to the availability
of a new Varroa mite control product, ApivarŪ, which contains the active
ingredient Amitraz. This product was made available to beekeepers under
emergency use registration (EUR) for the fall of 2010. Effective use of
existing mite control products, such as those containing formic or oxalic
acid, also contributed to improved mite control in 2009-10.
Additional factors that contributed to increases in colony survival in
2010 were enhanced sampling and control for the honey bee internal
parasite Nosema ceranae as well as greater intensity of monitoring for
other pests and diseases in major beekeeping areas.

Key words:
Monitoring, Apivar (Effective varroa treatment) and control of nosema

Medhat

Medhat Nasr, Ph. D.
Provincial Apiculturist
Crop Diversification Centre North

17507 Fort Road
Edmonton, AB, Canada T5Y 6H3
Tel: (780) 415-2314    Fax: (780) 422-6096
Mailto:[log in to unmask]