ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kay Ziff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:56:47 -0700

This is veering away from the topic, but...

A friend of mine throws parties where the highlight of the night is making,
and consuming, LN2 ice cream. It helps that he has a rooftop patio where we
can gather to watch a couple of brave people pour the LN2 into the ice
cream base then stir. After about a minute everyone gets a scoop of the
fluffiest, creamiest ice cream I've ever had. The process is so quick that
we can try multiple flavor combinations in one sitting.

>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>
>I know I am going to sound like a buzz kill but:
>
>Giving visitors food is always a little risky.  They can claim any number of
>ailments because of something they ate -- even a simple cracker.  As a general
>rule, we always tried not to "give out" eatables.  LN2 is also a risky thing
>especially when someone is ingesting it.  After all -- its a dangerous liquid
>and that's why it makes such a great demo.  There is no doubt that, at best, a
>visitor or presenter could get a burn from too much LN2 and, at worst, some
>permanent damage.  I know we've all heard stories about broken teeth and the
>like although I don't know if they are true.  I do that that I have had
>visitors
>complain even when a tiny amount of LN2 splashed on their bare arm.  They
>were only startled but they still complained.  I don't know how your insurance
>company or risk manager may feel about it, but you might want to consider
>erring
>on the side of caution and keep the LN2 in the complete control of the
>presenter and try to keep it off of and out of the presenter's body.  I
>have worked
>with LN2 a lot and I've never done nor would I do the cracker bit.  But - you
>have to admit - LN2 is a great crowd pleaser even so.
>
>Mik Jacobs
>Blazing Science
>(407) 761-7469
>www.blazingscience.com

>More information about the Informal Science Education Network and the
>Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at http://www.astc.org.
>To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
>message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

  Kay Ziff
  Exhibit Developer

  Bay Area Discovery Museum
  557 McReynolds Road