From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"LACTNET" discussion list
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 1995 15:00:53 EST
Hi, all. It is so nice to send messages and not have them come back! I told my
hubby this morning, "I'm connected!" His reply: "I think you are wired!"  Wired,
connected, whatever. Glad to be here!

One more tip on the cup feeding from my friend in Atlanta. The hospital we were
working at had the single Medela kits that come with the nipple and orange
nipple cap. Anne found that the nipple cap made a perfect cup for cup
feeding--it is a nice size, smooth edge, and a little bit flexible. Since most
of the moms needing to do the cup feeding were also pumping and so had a kit
anyway, it made use of already available stuff.

Anybody tried the Medela cup feeder thing that looks like the Haberman feeder? I
wonder if that might go over better in the NICU setting where quantification and
precision seem to be the driving forces. It seems like too much for most moms,
both in terms of price and perceived hassle, as compared to using a cheap little
cup.

Kathy, I do not have a copy of the UNICEF film, but I have a friend in Atlanta
that does and SELCA may have a copy as well. I'll have to see if Sharon has a
modem with the new computer she just bought and get her on this thing!

As for intros--good idea! Kathy B and I "met" over Prodigy a couple of years
ago, and have continued to chat by phone for the last year and a half that I
have been off-line. My Prodigy compulsion had to come to an end when the rates
went up and the income went down! Last December I got a call from one of the CNN
producers of their "On the Menu" show they did on bf and was asked if I would be
willing to be a guest "expert on breastfeeding from the Le Leche League" along
with Liz Baldwin, LLL's Legal Assoc Director, on a real-time conference on
CompuServe. CNN was willing to pay for the  kit, the computer time, and my phone
bills (as there is no local access number here in the boonies). Needless to say,
I was thrilled! The conference was a hoot, and I am back online to stay--for at
least a while.

I'm an LLL Leader (since 1990) and an IBCLC (since 1993). I counted some of the
hours I spent on Prodigy as practice consulting hours for the exam! We moved
this past summer from the metro-Atlanta area to Huntingdon, TN--RURAL western
TN. Culture shock! This is my hubby Bob's family home and we live on 120 acres
of woods next door to my father-in-law. We have 2 kids: Dan, who hits 12 in 2
weeks, and Merrilee, 8. Plus our adopted "children" Roly (part Beagle, part
disposal) and Springer (part Lab, part hound, part refrigerator).

I'm a Contributing Editor for LLL's Leaven, and Area Professional Liaison for
Tenn. I also write and produce "Moms & Babies," a 2 pg newsletter for WIC moms.
In Atlanta I had a decent pump business and LC stuff with lots of support from
lots of Leaders and LCs in the area. Here I have no other Leaders or LCs within
local calling range, and pump and LC stuff will be slow at best. Huntingdon has
just started delivering babies again--they were waiting on an OB and "a bed."
Fortunately the OB/Family Practicianer is very pro-bf.

I miss contact with other LCs and Leaders and look forward to making up for that
here on Lactnet. Now, if I can just afford the phone bills this is going to
generate!!!!!!!

Melissa