ISEN-ASTC-L January 2010

Re: Question about raised floor systems

Patricia Verheyden <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:20:58 +0100

we have a raised floor on our lower level  with electricity, data, compressed air and water under it.
it is very convenient , especially in our area for temporary exhibitions.

we have ca 15 cm empty space under the raised wooden tiles, which means that if you need to get a cable from a to b you sometimes have to lift a lot of tiles
if I could do it again I would seriously consider having one meter technical space under the raised floor as I have seen in other  places (they then also have the climatisation in the raised floor)

we don't have a raised floor on the upper level and in our water area, I would have preferred to have a raised floor also in the water area, that would be easier for drainage

the raised floor has one big drawback: there is a max weight for points, for moving objects, for totall mass of exhibits: we cannot drive with a forklift into the exhibition area and when we need to use a level worker we have to look for a light model and use wooden boards to distribute the weight

kind regards,

Patricia

Patricia Verheyden
Director of exhibits
Technopolis, the Flemish science center
Technologielaan, 2800 Mechelen, Belgium
tel. + 32 15 34 20 20; fax + 32 15 34 20 10
mailto:[log in to unmask]     http://www.technopolis.be

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Informal Science Education Network namens Erich Rose
Verzonden: ma 11/01/2010 19:04
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: Question about raised floor systems

For what reasons would you consider a raised floor?  Electrical and data feeds?  If you hate having cables dangling from above or those ugly cord covers across the floors  a raised system would be idea.

BUT, It has been my experience over the years that this gets suggested at some point early on and then when the cost is revealed it gets dropped.  Modular systems only work as well as the institution has staff, time and resources to actually make the modifications or reconfigurations.

Hopefully we will hear from some institutions that have actually used one and see how they weigh in.

Erich Rose

Erich Rose Design
807 The Living End
Austin, TX 78746