From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"LACTNET" discussion list
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 1995 17:14:44 -0500
For all participants of Lactnet, here is the posting of the "rules" of the
road...

PURPOSE OF LACTNET: For Lactation Consultants and others who assist
breastfeeding mothers and their babies to share concerns, information, hints
for helping mothers and the like.

REMEMBER: What you write should be something that you would be willing to
see printed on the front page of the New York Times. If you mention a
client's or a colleague's name, please get permission from them in advance.
If you wish to avoid embarassment, antagonism, legal redress, and similar
unpleasantness, be careful about what you say and about whom/what!

Below you will find three simple 'do's' and several 'don'ts'.  We are not
trying to be negative; rather, LACTNET is a small LISTSERV list with limited
capabilities. If ti is misused (see don't below), we will lose our privilege
of existence as a free LISTSERV.  To avoid having to pay a monthly fee for
its continuance, please observe the guidelines listed below.

DO'S:
a. share concerns about cases
b. share suggestions for solving problems you have encountered that others
might find useful.
c. support the work efforts of other LCs and related professionals.

DONT'S:
a. bad mouth other LCs or other professionals, no matter how high your level
of aggravation (this has legal implications for the person making the
statement as well as for LACTNET and all recipients of such a message.
b. talk up commercial products by brand name obtainable at a profit to those
who distribute same (this is not an infomercial outlet!)
c. bad mouth commercial products by brand name (this has legal implications
for the person making such statements as well as for LACTNET and all
recipients of such a message.)
d. talk nasty about other groups than your own (once again, see above).
Members of LACTNET come from all walks of life and many different affiliations.
e.Scan pictures of any size...(the size of these files is prohibitively
large..). Please do this through email.  LARGE files such as this can bomb
LACTNET and may cause us to lose our host.
f. use LACTNET as a resource for mothers needing assistance.  LACTNET is not
for mother to mother support, it IS for LC to LC support. If you have
clients who need on line assistance with breastfeeding, and you refer them
to LACTNET, you risk being removed from this list.  Please feel free to
refer clients needing help to appropriate sources for help.

Any comments or questions, please email LACTNET owners:
Kathleen Bruce BSN, IBCLC  [log in to unmask]
Kathleen Auerbach Ph.D, IBCLC [log in to unmask]