ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tiki Swain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tiki Swain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:14:58 +0800

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:31:51PM -0700, David Taylor wrote:

>         Along with being eaten as a cracker, they are often broken
> up and the crumbs pressed into a pie pan to make a crust for
> pies.  Almost every kid in the US has had them in something
> called a ?S?more? which is made by placing a piece of chocolate
> and a marshmallow that has been cooked over a camp fire
> between two graham crackers.
>         Now if you don?t know what a marshmallow is you?ve
> missed one of the great experiences of childhood!

Which reminds me of one of my favourite cooking tricks, used more often
at large gatherings of people to keep the kids from getting bored than
at a science centre, though I'm sure it would be wonderful at a science
camp.  Apologies to those in the US, but it uses an Australian biscuit
which I don't think you have an equivalent for...

Take one TimTam.  Slice it in half and then carefully slice each half in
half again the flat way, along the plane of the filling.

Put these four pieces chocolate-side down on a suitable plate and place
a marshmallow on top of each pair.  (Note: Australian marshmallows are
quite different to those I've seen used in Smores, I don't know if the
Smores ones work the same.  I'm sure someone on this list can try it and
tell me...)

Now, place the plate in the microwave for about 15-30 seconds.
(Experiment with the timing that works best for your microwave and the
palate of the experimenter :-)  Watch what happens, and then when it
finishes squish each pair back together in a "sandwich" and eat it as
fast as you can before you can't get it off the plate.  You may need
help to accomplish this bit.  I'm never short of willing helpers.

Cheers

Tiki Swain

Perth,
Western Australia
#### The Gravity Discovery Centre opens November 6th 2003! ####