CLASSICAL  June 2009

CLASSICAL June 2009

Re: Testdriving the Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall

Kelly Rinne <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Jun 2009 18:29:51 -0700

Ravi Narasimhan wrote:

I am happy to hear that the Berlin Phil it is well worth the online
broadcast model & subscription price - a concept that I personally
submitted to almost EVERY major symphony, orchestra and opera company
in the US over the last 2 years since web dev and streaming technology
are what I do during my day job.

Every single one responded that the "unions wouldn't let them do Internet
video", even though our proof of concept shows (as does Ravis' email),
that if you supply it, people WILL subscribe to such a service.

We even have a business model that requires NO upfront money from the
organization, which is perfect for smaller venues.  We used that for 2
years with one client, and now their broadcast pays for itself entirely
with online ticket sales.

At the risk of sounding bitter, I guess the union folks at all those US
performing arts organizations & companies that have recently gone south
wish they had even a small income stream instead of zero.

Those of us here in Michigan are accustomed to the unions shooting
themselves in the foot short-term - just look at the automotive companies.

If anyone on this list is actually in a position to recommend such a
thing through board membership/participation to a US-based classical
music arts organization, I really do have a proof of concept that WILL
provide an additional income stream through Internet broadcasting.

2 weeks ago a classic car client made just under $250,000 in 2 days.
This past weekend a first-time client had 87,000 viewers of live interviews
with artists, actors and pop culture personalities - many of them B-list.
That is 87,000 individual viewers, NOT page hits.

The technology can be applied to almost anything, and my personal
dedication to top-notch sounding classical music will provide extra
guarantees that the formats and genre will be treated with the reverence
and quality it deserves.

Is this a sales pitch? I think of it more as a safety net for a music
format that is lagging far behind the technology curve and information
on exploring a new business model. (Met broadcasts being the only exception
to the technology remark)

PLEASE ask me more questions if you are interested.

Kelly Rinne
Music Director
http://classicalmusicbroadcast.com