From:
"Alan J. Briker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:44:13 -0500
Joel Hill wrote:

>My favorite version remains the Lewenthal. Actually, I prefer his
>recordings of almost any piece to those of other pianists. Lewenthal's LP
>included a bonus disk that analyzed the Helselt Concerto, and he make quite
>a to-do about how Rachmaninoff must have stolen the famous 3 notes that
>begin his Prelude in c# from the Henselt Concerto. Made sense to me.

I am always gratified to see that Raymond Lewenthal is remembered from time
to time on this list. He was a friend of mine. I met him first in 1974.
IMO his recordings of Alkan (Le Festin d'Asope), Henselt Concerto and Liszt
(Hexameron, Norma Fantasy) remain unsurpassed. He was deeply committed to
bringing to light these unknown works.

Alan